Thursday, September 6, 2012

Why Bother? A Top Ten List ...

A Top Ten list of things I do every day as a stay-at-home mom of 16 month old twins that often make me wonder, "Why did I bother?"  {Please understand: I love my children so much and would never ever ever even for a minute trade staying at home with them.  But, I laugh at the silliness of our lives sometimes and thought you might be able to relate.  Or maybe you can just enjoy laughing at us.  So, here you go!}


Why bother …

10. Trying to be quiet?  That is inevitably when I will be the loudest. {i.e. while putting toys away during their nap ... I always drop the tambourine.  Or trip on the puzzles which then come apart all over the wood floors.  You get the picture.}

9. Making a phone call?  That is inevitably when one child will trip over a toy, fall down and bust their face on our hardwood floors - or on their sibling, which causes double-face busting.

8.  Trying to nap when they do?  I will fall asleep before they do and then have to wake up 15 minutes later to change a poopy diaper, grab another paci, shut the curtains (again), OR move one to the pack-n-play in the other room for fear that their jumping, laughing and/or other silliness will wake the twin who has already fallen asleep OR because the current sleeper will undoubtedly awake before the one who has not yet fallen asleep, who will of course wake the current non-sleeper too early from their nap.  If I opt to NOT take a nap when they do, that is when they will both sleep at the exact same time for a solid 3 hours.

7.  Putting this <--- back on it's handle?  Every day, Reagan opens the kitchen cabinet, pulls this off of our fajita skillet and leaves it in the middle of the kitchen floor.  Every day.

6.  Putting the hand towel on the oven rack?  Every day, Parker comes in the kitchen, pulls the towel off of the rack, laughs like a maniac and runs around the house with it.  It usually ends up in a wrinkly ball somewhere in the living room.  Every day.

5.  Getting in the shower?  No matter how long they have been sleeping or should be sleeping, if I want to ensure that a child (or both) will wake up and wake up loudly, all I need to do is get in the shower.  Every time.

4.  Going outside?  It usually rains after we get out.  Not before. 
{we go out all the time, and i know it is important for all of our mental health to get out. I think I just have bad luck.  Or poor planning skills?  Or bad weather-predicting skills.}

3. Cleaning up their toys?  If I clean them up while they nap, they will make a mess again in the afternoon.  If I clean them up while they are in bed for the night, they will make a mess again in the morning. {Please note: I still do clean up their toys twice a day because of my mild, undiagnosed OCD}


2. Putting on clean clothes?  That is inevitably when I will get an entire cup of milk spilled on me...Or get teddy-grahmed. {not familiar with this verb?  Come over some time, we will teach you.}


1. Showering?  I sweat all day every day chasing from these guys around, getting them in/out of the house (3 story townhouse, mind you), in/out of the car, in/out of the stroller, in/out of their highchairs, in/out of their beds, in/out of the bathtub, in/out of trouble. I have been sweating since I was pregnant with them.  I have been sweating since 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment