Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Public Service Announcement: Things NOT to say...

My rule is simple: If you wouldn't say it to me when I'm not pregnant, please don't say it to me when I am pregnant...

"I wasn't sure you were pregnant, but you were looking wider in the hips, so ..."
     - Thank you.
"You hadn't told me you were pregnant, but your face was looking fuller ... and you look tired."
     - Tired? really? I can't imagine why...
"Twins?!  No wonder you looked bigger already!"
     - Again, thank you.
"Every time I see you I feel sorry for you!"
     - {too many things to think here...}
"Your life is about to change, girl!"
    - This may be my favorite.  REALLY?!  Had no idea!!
"Twins?! Your life is over!!"
     - I like to think of it as starting something really awesome!
"Better you than me!"
     - If that is your attitude, then, yes!  Probably better me than you!
"Wow, twins?!  That is going to be so hard!"
     - Well, since having 1 baby is hard, then 2 probably will also be hard.  Thank you.

To end on a positive note, these are some of my favorite (good!) things said so far:

"Twins are NOT for pansies!" (from a father of twins)
"You will learn to do heroic things in the middle of the night!" (from a mother of twins)

To close, please remember this simple rule when you encounter an expecting mom (of 1, 2, 3 or 4!):
If you wouldn't say it to me when I'm not pregnant, please don't say it to me when I am pregnant.

This concludes our PSA for the day.

3 comments:

  1. You rock girl! I have always felt that way about comments on my size...if I shouldn't say anything about your weight/size, please don't comment on mine either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so know what you mean. The crazy twins comments will just get crazier. Just after having my twins we went out to dinner with them and a lady was convinced that my babies weren't twins since they weren't the same gender. People need a biology class! Your life won't end, it just changes.

    ReplyDelete