Sunday, February 5, 2012

And the World's Worst Blogger award goes to...

Yup. If there were an award for the world's worst blogger, I would win.  I have given up even trying to stay current with my posts.  I have a wonderful friend who has a wonderful blog and is keeping hers up to date with all of her son's milestones - she is even back dating some of her posts to make sure they are in order of when he reached certain milestones.  Jen Reece - you are making me look bad.

Anyways, here we are.  Nine months into this new world of parenting twins and we have already learned so much and simultaneously forgotten a lot of things that we used to know.  If you were to ask me a question about diapers, breastfeeding, formula, transitioning to solid foods, sleep training, schedules, appropriate play for developmental milestones, doctor's appointments, having boy/girl twins (no, they are not identical...), VACTERL association (see earlier posts if this is foreign to you), being a stay at home mom, and other questions about being the mother of twins, I could fire off an answer within a few seconds - and it may even be a good answer!  But, if you were to ask me the day of the week, the time of day, what we were having for dinner that night, what we had for dinner LAST night, or what we were doing in a month .... well, cue the crickets.  It is amazing how God designed a mother's brain to know what she needs to know in the moment and simply not worry about the rest.

I helped throw a very good friend of mine a baby shower on Saturday, and it felt like such a big girl thing to do - because after all, I haven't done too many big girl things while being home with Parker and Reagan.  I do a lot of fun things and some not-so-fun things and generally there is a whole lot of silliness in the Even household...but big girl things?  Not too often.  Anyways, at this shower, a pregnant friend of the mother-to-be (got that?) asked me what it was like to be pregnant with twins and to raise twins.  I told her that since I have only ever been pregnant with twins, it was "normal" to me.  And we started talking about Parker and the complications he had in utero and after birth and the surgeries and hospitalizations that he has already gone through, and my mother-to-be friend said, "See?  Isn't she functioning surprisingly well?"  And I was so pleasantly surprised to hear that, because this friend has seen a lot of the Evens throughout the past year and I couldn't believe she thought I was functioning!  Because when I picture myself, this is what I expect to see in the mirror:


Very happy, but extremely dishelved.  Newsflash: being a mom is not easy.  Being a mom of twins is not easy.  But it is the best job I have ever had.  I love being a music therapist and I look forward to working as a music therapist again someday; but never before have I been given such a strong responsibility to grow and raise two little people with the unrelenting love of Christ.  Scary?  Yes.  Unbelievably exhausting?  Yes.  Awesome?  Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment